Four weeks in and the builders have made steady progress with no issues
discovered beneath the floor.
- The stone and wood floor has now been carefully removed, as has the old blower heater.
The old stone flags have been palleted and will be sold.
- Some ancient damage by rabbits to the foundations of the pillars has been discovered.
This has now been remedied with concrete infill;
- 2 more ledger stones, one dated 1685, have been discovered in the vestry area.
These will be repositioned, together with the only other ledger stone which was located
at the top of the north aisle.
- Small fragments of human vertebrae have been found during the excavations.
These will be re-interred later in the process.
- The new floor level will be raised to the level of the medieval floor which was higher
than the Victorian floor, recently removed;
Finally the first pouring of concrete to create a sub-base for the new floor has been made.
St Peter’s Reordering Team.